Saturday, December 01, 2007

Running!

Couch potato. That's what I've been lately. I truly think I've been more sedentary the past few months than any other time in my life. Perhaps not surprisingly, my weight is at a lifetime high (except while pregnant, obviously.) So, as the holidays approach and temptation abounds, I'm going to get out there and start running.

To keep me motivated, I've got quite a plan. First, I am following the Couch to 5k program as described on coolrunning.com.

Second, I am downloading the companion podcasts on iTunes (Called Podcasts for Running by Robert Ullrey.) This Robert fellow devised a podcast for each week of the program whereby you listen on your iPod while he "walks" you through the whole program so that you don't have to keep track of anything. (Ex: With running music in the background, he'll pipe in and say things like "okay, now it's time to pick up your speed for the next running segment, which will last 60 seconds. Go!")

Third, I've purchased the Nike+ system, which involves a little do dad in your shoe that talks to your iPod, which records all of your run data (time, speed, distance) and automatically uploads it to the Nike+ website when you synch your ipod. The website charts your runs so you can see your progress.

At the end of the day it still comes down to my motivation, but at least I'm arming myself with all of the new technology, tips and tricks they have to keep at it. Today I completed my 3rd run and week one of the program. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laurel,

Wow! It sounds like you're off to a running start! It sounds like a ton of fun with all the neighbors decorating together. Did you go up to the mountains to cut your tree? I couldn't tell from the picturs.

Love, Mom

Readersraisinghell said...

Wish I could get that motivated! I think it is the technology that I find even more intimidating than the running! (Sigh. Guess I'm just of the wrong generation!)
Love,
Carol