Saturday, June 24, 2006

A day in the life: Saturday June 24th

There is nothing particularly unusual or fascinating about this day, but here it is. A day in the life:
7:19am: Julia wakes up. I get up with her and we have a bottle of milk on the couch. (This makes it seem as if we've all been sleeping until after 7am... it should be noted that I was up with Andrew nursing at 1:30 and again at 4:30 -- when he wouldn't go back to sleep. I finally put him in the swing at 5:30 which sent him --and me -- back to sleep.)
7:34am: Andrew stirs. I go get him and nurse on the couch and turn on Dragon Tales for Julia.
8-9am: We all have breakfast (Kix for Julia, her new favorite cereal) and start getting organized for the day.
9am: Julia goes to swim class with Daddy where she is gradually getting used to the water and putting more and more of her face in each week. Meanwhile I am staying home with Andrew, getting ready for our next outing.
10:15am: Arrive at the park for Riley's first birthday party. Julia has a great time. Highlights are blowing bubbles, the cupcakes, and the Aussie party game "Pass the Parcel." Andrew sleeps through nearly the whole thing, waking up at the very end. I nurse him in the park and he goes back to sleep.
Noon: We stop by Whole Foods on the way home from the party. Julia helps by taking each grocery item and dropping it into the cart behind her. (That's why our crackers are always broken.)
1:20pm: Julia has fallen asleep in the car and we gently transfer her to her crib for a nap. Andrew slept through the grocery outing and is still sleeping. Jeff wisely takes advantage of the quiet moment to get a nap. Meanwhile I expect Andrew to wake, starving, any minute, so I don't nap, and instead finish unloading groceries, clean the refrigerator, and blog pictures from Riley's party. Of course Andrew sleeps on. (Why didn't I start napping when I could have?!)
2:20pm: Andrew wakes up, and I nurse him. We change diapers and hang out together on the deck where it's nice and warm but breezy. The rest of the household is still sleeping.
3:30pm: Julia and Jeff wake up and we spend the rest of the afternoon trying to simultaneously keep the Julia and Andrew happy and entertained while also trying to get a few things done around the house.
5pm: Mom and Dad arrive to babysit. It will be a very rare night out for us, and the first since Andrew's birth.
6pm: We have dinner with Ken, a colleage of Jeff's, and his wife Dianne. They are hosting us at their house and Dianne turns out to be a gourmet chef. We have a spectacular meal and entertaining conversation.
9:30pm: We arrive home. My parents report that Julia was distraught at our departure and refuesed to take a bath or put on her PJs. And Andrew was a bit fussy much of the evening. My parents must be tired but they don't show it. Bless them. We send them home with many thanks.
10pm: We get Andrew to sleep, and I pump EIGHT ounces (that's a lot), a sign that I've been away from Andrew for a long time.
10:30pm: I blog the last part of this entry, and head to bed. Lets hope for a good night's sleep!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is one precious diary entry!! It is very impressive what the Holman Family can get up to on one Saturday in June!