Saturday, July 05, 2008

Daydreaming about outdoor kitchens

I had another quiet moment this morning, before the kids were up and about, and I was browsing again online, and came across another picture that I liked, and that gave me an idea. I've been thinking about what to do with the window and door configuration along the wall in the back that currently has the sliding glass door and the back door leading from the kitchen to the backyard. When we replace the living room windows with doors leading to the back, will I have too many redundant doors? Should I consider removing the kitchen door and just use the sliding and french doors?

This picture makes the case for eliminating the kitchen door. I could put in a nice window, like the one here, and an outdoor countertop. It would be a great place to set out food or drinks for parties in the backyard, with built in storage underneath. If you picture this in my yard, the new french doors from the front room would be just out of sight to the right in this picture, and the sliding door from the dining/family room space would be just out of sight to the left. Interesting...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I REALLY like the idea of eliminating the door (you've got two sliding glass doors on either side anyway) and putting in some kind of indoor outdoor sink and counter. It's fun to dream -- and then see the dream become reality! Mom