Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Nisse doll obsession

I have suddenly and inexplicably become obsessed with dolls, toys and Christmas decorations from Maileg, a Danish company. I saw a collection of Nisse dolls (traditional Danish elves) in a magazine and I followed the clues in the "Resources" section of the magazine until I found an online source. I was thrilled to find and purchase the two Nisse elves that you see pictured here on my mantle.



I absolutely love them -- the tall hats, the simple, homespun feeling.

Once I had the dolls in hand, the tag gave me more clues about the manufactuer, so I went back online and found another source -- a small shop in upstate New York. I began correpsonding with the owner via email and it turns out she's selling the dolls for considerably less than my original source. And she has 2 more from the collection in stock that are different from the 2 I now already own. So, what's a girl to do but buy two more! (They should arrive by the 24th.)

Then, I started wondering if there might be a California source (cheaper shipping!), so I investigated even further and found that there's a high end toy store right here in Downtown Menlo Park that carries toys from Maileg! I hopped in the car and went for a visit. They were all sold out of the Nisse dolls, but they had a delicious pair from their Angel collection, and a pair of mice that were mighty adorable. I'll let you guess what I did then. I'd tell, but it's secret until the 25th...

Yeiks, lets hope I've exhausted the options, or I'm going to go broke on these things!


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Readersraisinghell said...

It's fun to find something that captures your fancy like that! Enjoy them! Think of the memories they will acquire year after year...

Anonymous said...

Oh Oh.... before you know it you'll be on your way to Denmark! That's a country that has special memories for me... and do you remember going there??? Love, Mom

Unknown said...

I am interested in buying some Maileg toys for my granddaughters. Could you please share the mnames of the stores where you purchased them? Thank you!

2nd Chance Thrift Store said...

Hi Laurel,
I manage Second Chance Thrift Store on Camano Island, Washington. We recently received three Nisse dolls, still with sales tags and prices on them. The couple are priced at 249 DK or $45 and the child is priced at 149 DK or $27. From your experience, are these competitive prices? Do you have interest in acquiring these from us. If so, please email us at secondchance1335@gmail.com or call us at 360-629-6142.
Thanks so much,
Roxanne