Saturday, June 21, 2008

McElligot's Pool


Every once in a while I will come across a children's book that I didn't know we had. My mom comes by every other week to visit the kids and she often brings a book or two she has saved from my childhood. I don't always see them when she brings them, but I'll discover them a day or two later. Most of them are instantly familiar and bring back good memories.

Last night I was putting Andrew to bed and out of the bookcase popped McElligot's Pool by Dr. Seuss, which my mom must have dropped off. We read it together, and what a great book. (Interesting how much longer my old childhood books are than the new books I buy my kids these days. Speaks to our shortened attention span.) Anyway, I don't think it is one of Dr. Seuss's more famous ones, but I'm not sure why not. It has such a nice message of optimism and the virtues of patience, as well as a sense of wonder and possibility. What a nice little gem. Thanks Mom! : )

2 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

I thought I had read all the Dr. Seuss books a million times each, but that's a new one on me. I'll have to check it out! I just recommended Thidwick, the Big-hearted Moose to a fellow blogger who has a 4-yr-old, and she had never heard of that one.

I was just telling someone yesterday how much I miss reading children's books aloud. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

You're welcome! I saved all your books for just the right reasons -- our adorable grandchildren, who don't have any idea how old those stories are, but they are timeless, aren't they? Love, Mom