Saturday, June 02, 2007

The travel bug

I think it all started when I read Eat Pray Love, a new bestseller by Elizibeth Gilbert. If you haven't read it, you really must. She writes about her year-long journey through Italy, India, then Indonesia, during which she heals and finds herself. It's funny, thoroughly entertaining, touching and inspiring, all at once. This book made me want to take up yoga and meditation, be bolder about welcoming new people and experiences into my life, take a leave of absence from my job, and start writing a book of my own.

But mostly, it made me want to travel. Anywhere. Just get out and see the world, turn my life on its head for a while and be somebody new. This isn't exactly a good time for me to take off on delicious adventures, so perhaps the impossibility of it is what makes it so tantalizing.

So, when Andrea and I started talking about planning a spa weekend getaway to celebrate having accomplished the first year of motherhood for our seconds, it's not surprising perhaps that I started looking farther afield than the usual places around here. And that's when I came across the Wickanninsh Inn in Tofino Canada. Three minutes on their web site, and suddenly I'm obsessed with the place. Click on the name to visit their website. Doesn't it look fabulous! I had to reluctantly agree with Andrea that it's probably not realistic for our 48 hour getaway in July, but boy do I wish it was. I'm telling you, I'm going there one day. Anybody want to come with me?

I know what you're thinking, that heading to a luxury spa in Canada isn't exactly an adventure that measures up in any way to the kinds of adventures Liz Gilbert had in her book, but hey, it would be farther from home than I've been in years. I think I could find myself there... and you know what, the spa offers yoga!

3 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

Haven't read the book yet, but now I will. We almost went to Tofino last year when we were in British Columbia, but ended up deciding we couldn't do it all. Friends of ours went there a couple years ago and rave about it! I don't know if you'd necessarily reinvent yourself there, but I'm sure you'd have a good time.

BTW, Brian and I are starting yoga lessons this week...

Cheri

Anonymous said...

Hi! This isn't Dad, it's me 'cause I'm on his computer. I'm already packing by bag! it looks fabulousssss! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm in! Let me know when you are ready to go!