Saturday, August 07, 2010

My return to rafting

We have been in Tahoe this week. Gorgeous weather. So much fun with our friends the Joneses. They left this morning, but we had plans to stay one more day and aren't we glad we did. We went rafting on the Truckee river! I have many fond memories of this exact same rafting adventure when I was a child. We would come up every summer with my dad's side of the family, hanging out with cousins, aunts and uncles. Every year we would take to the river and epic water battles would ensue.

Decades later, I am pleased to report the experience is just as fun, laid back and unspoiled. We even got attacked by pirates and Julia was kidnapped! After turning on us and soaking us all with her captor's water soaker squirt gun, we managed to steal her back to our side. The wild rapids at the end of the run left us breathless. The root beer floats at the patio grill were the perfect finish.

We had not dared bring a camera, so we paid for the official photo to remind us of the day. Here we are (I took a picture of the picture with my phone.)

1 comment:

Readersraisinghell said...

Ah, nostalgia! I remember those days with great fondness! Pirate boats, water fights, beach picnics, horseback riding (especially for Ray!), all the games... (We rafted on the rivers in Costa Rica - always aware that the waters contained crocodiles and caimen, and being careful not to look up as the Howler monkeys were marking their territory!)